Any one that has worked with me in the past or has been following me online knows that I am all about marketing. More specifically, marketing your business online.
I am in my zone of genius when I am working with a client on their complete online marketing plan and formulating a complete strategy that is going to work for them and their business.
However the best online marketing strategy in the world isn’t going to give you real success unless you are continually working on your own personal development and your mindset.
Putting it simply you need to be thinking differently.
Take your mind to the next level and you will experience business growth along with it.
The longer you continue to hold on to outdated beliefs and search for the magic marketing trick that’s going to catapult your growth, the longer you’ll continue to stay exactly where you are (probably working 14 hour days and having nothing to show for it).
Your mindset is how you think and feel both consciously and sub-consciously. Quite often we are unaware of mindsets that may be holding us back until we take the time to dive in and “tune in” to ourselves more deeply. They are often deeply embed in us from our childhood.
Your mindset can dictate how you view yourself and the world around you and can create self-imposed limitations in your beliefs and the actions you take.
Until I started my own business and started working on my own self-development around 10 years ago, I had no idea what “mindset” was and how crucial it is to your success in business and life.
And it isn’t something that you can work on and “fix” and then be done with it! It will always be a work in progress. New mindset blocks will appear as you reach new stages in your business. So this something you need to commit to and continue to work on.
Over the past few years I have worked on my own mindset by reading books and listening to podcasts. I have also started working with a coach/mentor that is centred all around mindset and how it relates to business growth. It has been a game-changer for me.
Something that has come up for me recently is the realisation that I care too much about what others think of me. I want everyone to like me. I don’t want to be judged and criticized. This thinking has been with me my entire life. If I look back to when I was a child, my parents used to say to me “Don’t do that, what will others think.” I never wanted to draw attention to myself.
When I first started my business many years ago, this type of thinking delayed me releasing a new ecourse because I was concerned what others would think if it wasn’t successful. What if no-one signed up?
I also delayed promoting my services because of what others would think of me. Would people think I didn’t know enough to offer that kind of service?
I held myself back when sharing on social media and hid the true me. I didn’t want photo’s of me out there too much. I didn’t want people judging me and what I looked like.
But people are going to judge us no matter what! If we try and hide we are still being judged. So why not stay true to ourselves, be happy and not suppress who we are because either way we are being judged. Unfortunately it is just a fact of life. I have seen it all! I have even received negative feedback due to the colour of a jacket I was wearing in a photo. Yep!! True story!!
Which brings me to my next point. Are we judging others too much?
I know I used too!! And by letting go of my judgement of others it has helped me release the need to please everyone else in return. To be honest, I didn’t see the connection until I listened to an episode recently of the Mind Your Business Podcast by James Wedmore. It is all about Freeing Yourself From What Others Think and I highly recommend you add this to your playlist and listen to it as soon as possible. There are so many gold nuggets in this one podcast. Listen to it here.
When you listen to this episode, you will probably learn something new about yourself. Something that may have been holding you back that you didn’t even realise. It certainly got me thinking. Here are some of the key points that spoke to me:
- People are constantly making judgements – no matter what you do you can’t change that. You can’t control what other people think and how they perceive you and ultimately how they perceive themselves.
- You will only get the level of success that matches the threshold of your tolerance for criticism. Some people can’t imagine handling criticism that does come with success (it is unavoidable) and they will sub-consciously sabotage themselves and not reach the level of success that they desire.
- Stop wanting to be like everyone else. You are not everyone else. Don’t deny your true self and who you truly are.
- You can do everything possible to get people to like you and there will still be people that judge and criticise you.
- The secret to failure is trying to please everyone
- The people that judge others the most are the ones that care the most about what others actually think of them. Life is a reflection and they are projecting.
- Love yourself like your life depends on it. When you truly love yourself that is the only opinion that matters. When you love yourself you free yourself from caring what others think.
- Think of the people out there that desperately need what you have to offer. What if you chose not to show up or speak up just because you were to concerned about the haters and the judgers. Then that person that you could have helped suffers – they miss out – because you chose not to show up today. How does that feel?
- Ultimately, to be successful, you need to let go of the need to be liked.
If you have a vision for yourself, a dream of where you want your business to go in the next 12 months and beyond then put self-development and mindset work at the top of your list. It is vital to your success.
About Jayne Day
Jayne is an online marketing strategist and success coach for female entrepreneurs who are ready to take action for massive results in their business. She offers complete online marketing strategies and solutions to female entrepreneurs and business owners so they can be found online by their ideal clients by implementing a range of strategies that all work together and are customised for each client's business.